|Newsletter: October - November 2005
Dear Aloe Friends
I don't know about you, but I enjoy a little tongue-in-cheek humor. It must be because laughter is a key ingredient to
staying healthy. It relieves anxiety and stress, boosts the immune system and helps keep a positive outlook.
Take for example the 5 surgeons who were discussing who makes the best patients:
1st surgeon: I like accountants, when you open them up everything inside is numbered.
2nd surgeon: You should try electricians, everything inside them is colour coded.
3rd surgeon: I think librarians are the best, everything inside them is in alphabetical order.
4th surgeon: I like construction workers. Those guys understand when you have a few parts left over at the end and
that the job takes longer than you said it would.
5th surgeon: You're all wrong. Politicians are the easiest to operate on. There's no guts, no heart and no spine, and the
head and butt are interchangeable.
However, your health is no laughing matter.
"To ensure good HEALTH: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness and maintain an interest in
- William Londen
POTENT Aloe Ferox
There has been a lot of research done on the medicinal properties of Aloe vera. They have isolated an "active"
ingredient called acemannan, which is the "essential" sugar mannose.
Some companies have extracted the acemannan from Aloe vera, which has been successfully used in numerous studies
to stimulate the immune system in the treatment of AIDS and other infectious diseases.
This has been Aloe vera's claim to fame. Since Aloe ferox does not contain the acemannan they argue that our aloe is
not as effective.
Well, they are WRONG and research proves it!!!
During the presentation of prof Fanie van Heerden from the University of KwaZulu Natal at the 8th Indigenous Plant Use
Forum (IPUF) she showed that a compound called Aloeride has potent immune STIMULATION activity.
Researchers have demonstrated that Aloeride is a much more POWERFUL immuno-stimulant than acemannan. They
even make the statement that acemannan's immuno-stimulatory activity is due to the presence of Aloeride.
Well of course!!! We have experienced it first-hand.
Aloe ferox may not contain acemannan but it works WONDERS!!!
(Nirmal, P. et al. 2001. Characterization of Aloeride, a New High-Molecular-Weight Polysaccharide from Aloe vera with
Potent Immunostimulatory Activity. J. Agric. Food Chem.
vol. 49. p. 1030 - 1034)
Let Aloe go to your HEAD
The occurrence of diabetes is on the rise and is reaching epidemic proportions. Most people are aware of diabetes, but
there are various types of diabetes:
1. Type 1 occurs when the body's own immune system attacks the pancreas causing it to produce insufficient insulin.
2. Type 2 is due to the body being unable to process insulin properly. Thus the body becomes insulin resistant.
However, more than 90% of all diabetics are type 2. That means you develop diabetes, you were not born with it. Thus it
is preventable and in most instances reversible or even curable.
Interestingly there has been an increase in DOUBLE diabetes also called type 3 diabetes.
3. Type 3 diabetics have BOTH type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It develops either because the autoimmune destruction
is accelerated or the pancreas is overworked until it wears out.
The problem with diabetes is the associated RISKS of numerous chronic diseases:
* Heart disease: plaque develops, clogging arteries
* Kidney disease: blood is not filtered properly
* Blindness: small arteries in the eyes become damaged
* Amputation: due to poor blood circulation resulting in gangrene
Recently there has been a new RISK identified for diabetics namely BRAIN damage.
The body needs INSULIN to burn glucose as energy. If the body does NOT produce enough insulin or the body
becomes resistant to insulin, energy production becomes impaired.
Without glucose the brain cannot function properly and damage to the nervous system occurs. This results in memory
impairment and has been linked to Alzheimer's disease.
The study showed that Aloe
1. lowered blood sugar levels
2. improved antioxidant activity
3. reduced brain damage and damage to the nervous system
4. improved brain functions such as memory function, learning, perception and self-awareness.
In conjunction with Aloe Juice the brain function can be further protected and improved by using
* Balance-it, which contains Ginkgo biloba, that has been proven effective to improve blood circulation to the brain.
* Clever-4-Ever that is essential to keep the brain sharp.
* Omega 3, which is vital for proper brain function and is severely deficient in people with diabetes.
You do not have to fear old age. By living the Aloe Lifestyle you can look forward to enjoying a healthy and vibrant life.
KNOWLEDGE is power, now ACT upon it!!!
"Knowledge is power and enthusiasm pulls the switch." - Steve Droke
(www.mercola.com Double Diabetes more than Double the Trouble.
Parihar, M.S. et al. 2004. Susceptibility of hippocampus and cerebral cortex to oxidative damage in streptozotoxin
treated mice: prevention by extracts of Withania somnifera and Aloe vera. J. of Clinical Neuroscience, 11(4), 397 - 402)
It is interesting to know that ALL animals (except guinea pigs, fruit eating bats, red-vented bulbul birds and apes)
PRODUCE vitamin C in their bodies.
A goat produces 13 000 mg vitamin C per day, which increases dramatically when the animal is diseased or under
This explains why animals don't catch a cold.
Humans, on the other hand, CANNOT manufacture vitamin C in their bodies.
Therefore it is essential that we as HUMANS obtain sufficient vitamin C from our DIETS (it is ONLY fresh vegetables and
fruit that contain vitamin C) or supplements with lots of it.
The best known disease caused by vitamin C deficiency is SCURVY, which is characterised by bleeding gums, poor
wound healing and extensive bruising. On top of that a vitamin C deficiency makes you MORE susceptible to infection
and numerous chronic diseases.
The primary function of vitamin C is the manufacture of collagen, which is required for
* connective tissue of the skin, teeth, bone, tendons and ligaments
* connective tissue of the organs (kidney, liver, etc.)
* cartilage in the joints
* integrity of arteries.
If there is a deficiency in vitamin C the ARTERIES start leaking resulting in bleeding gums. It is vital for your HEALTH to
have optimal vitamin C levels.
The function of vitamin C in the prevention of the following chronic diseases is:
1. Asthma: acts as a natural antihistamine.
2. Cancer: reduces the risk of ALL cancers by protecting cellular structures.
3. Diabetes: improves blood sugar control and wound healing, strengthens arteries and reduces cholesterol.
4. Eye degeneration: essential to halt the progression of AMD, cataracts and glaucoma.
5. Heart disease: strengthens the collagen structure of arteries, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure and prevents
6. Lung disease: acts as antioxidant especially in lungs (smokers â€“ take note!!) and could prevent cancer.
7. Male infertility: increases sperm count.
8. Pregnancy conditions: reduces risk of pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure, water retention).
9. Suppressed immune system: increases natural killer cells that protect against viruses and BOOSTS immune
10. Wound healing: promotes the production of collagen.
As you can see, there are many good reasons to eat your fruit and vegetables and supplement with vitamin C (listen to
Mom, she is right - yet again).
Grow STRONG HAIR & Nails
Nails and hair consist of minerals and a protein known as keratin, which makes them strong. In order for the body to
manufacture keratin it requires specific NUTRIENTS.
Any nutritional deficiencies can lead to thinning hair or even total baldness. Nails become brittle, have spots and can
Essential hair and nail nutrients are:
A. Protein: essential to ensure the production of keratin.
B. Vitamin A: obtained from especially liver as well as vitamin C (eat your fruit and veggies).
C. Omega 3: vital for healthy hair and nails, making it shiny and flexible.
If you have dry skin, brittle nails and frequent "bad hair days", it indicates a Omega 3 deficiency. In addition you may be
surprised to know that the minerals in Calci-Boost are also essential if you want strong and healthy HAIR and NAILS.
1. Calcium makes hair and nails strong.
2. Magnesium works with calcium to promote healthy growth.
3. Zinc is critical for proper hair and nail growth. A deficiency shows as white spots on the nails.
4. Sulphur is a main component in the structure of keratin.
5. Copper helps prevent hair loss as well as defects in hair colour and structure.
6. Manganese prevents slow hair growth.
In conjunction it is well advised to use a multi-vitamin such as Body Basics to give your hair and nails that essential
Your HAIR and NAILS ultimately reflect the overall condition of your body. If your body is healthy and well nourished,
your hair will be shiny and your nails strong, smooth and translucent.
Super Aloe Gel
It is widely known that ALOE works wonders for the skin. ALOE repairs, renews and revitalizes your skin by reversing the
effects of sun and age on our skin.
* penetrates all 7 layers of the skin.
* stimulates collagen production.
* regenerates the skin (8 x faster).
* provides nutrients to feed the skin.
* moisturizes and prevents moisture loss.
In other words, ALOE reverses the visible signs of ageing by erasing the fine lines and wrinkles, replenishing lost
moisture and enhancing cellular renewal.
Stimulates collagen production & immune system
Ultimate time defying solution
Potent anti-inflammatory agent
Effective moisturizing agent
Regenerates your skin
Ageing is delayed with every use!!! Rediscover the healthy, resilient, glowing skin of your youth and keep looking
Nail & Cuticle Gel
The best way to make sure your nails are healthy is to moisturize them daily. It is also essential that you care for your
The cuticle is there for a good reason. The cuticle is a barrier against bacteria entering the body and protects the NAIL
base where all the NEW nail cells are produced. It is therefore essential to take proper care of your cuticles if you want
Nail & Cuticle Gel
a. conditions and penetrates deeply into the skin.
b. acts immediately to SOFTEN cuticles.
c. promotes healing of cracked cuticles and restores smoothness to rough skin.
Nail & Cuticle Gel is ideal to stimulate the growth of slow growing nails.
Sun Care Lotion
Sunburn is the first visible proof of DAMAGE to the skin and the main reason for premature ageing of the skin.
Sun Care Lotion is a rich, creamy sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 36. The active ingredient is Titanium
dioxide, which reflects all sunrays from the skin. Thus it offers complete protection from both UVA and UVB radiation.
Ever wondered what SPF actually means and how it is calculated???
* The SPF is a rating indicating a product's ability to block out ultraviolet rays and prevent sun damage.
* The SPF number relates to the amount of time you can stay in the sun before sunburn occurs.
In other words: a product with a SPF 36 will provide 36 times the protection compared to if you did not apply any
Thus if you normally burn red after 10 minutes in the sun (it depends on skin complexion) a SPF 36 will DELAY the
onset of sunburn with
10 minutes x 36 = 360 minutes (6 hours).
Sun Care Lotion PROTECTS against sun damage and PREVENTS dehydration of the skin.
PLEASE remember to reapply often - especially after swimming or sweating.
Newsletter June - July 2005
Hallo Aloe Friends
It is winter in South Africa and spring in Europe and the Aloe ferox aloes are in full bloom.
I am constantly amazed at the virtues of aloe. The more I research the MAGIC of aloe the more I discover its dramatic
Most companies attribute aloe’s WOW only to the essential sugars it contains. However, that is only the INTELLIGENT
part and they ignore aloe’s wisdom.
Our bodies were designed to consume what NATURE provides, which is a combination of numerous nutritional
compounds available in whole (unrefined) food.
Aloe is such a whole food. It contains numerous nutritional elements essential for our well being. That is why Aloe ferox is
the BASIS of all our products.
Our approach to HEALTH needs to be an integrated. Whatever isn’t functioning properly inside the body will make itself
visible on the outside.
That is why it is so important to get to the ROOT of the problem instead of just treating the symptoms.
By providing your body with the essential nutrients you are ensuring that the body is capable of functioning properly.
“Let food be your medicine and medicine be your FOOD.”
The WISDOM of Aloe
What makes ALOE so effective?
How can it have so many beneficial impacts on the whole body??
The numerous nutrients in ALOE, which in combination, work synergistically, giving ALOE its powerful healing properties.
It is an excellent source of NATURAL health providing:
1. Amino acids: the body requires 22 amino acids, the building block of proteins. ALOE provides 20 of them including
7 of the 8 essential amino acids.
2. Sugars: now known as “essential” enhance the immune system to boost its effect and help to detoxify.
3. Plant sterols: the 3 main types act as powerful anti-inflammatory agents.
4. Saponins: exert a powerful anti-microbial effect against bacteria, viruses and fungus.
5. Enzymes: to aid digestion.
6. Vitamins: have anti-oxidant properties such as beta-carotene, the precursor to vitamin A, vitamin C and even
traces of vitamin B12.
7. Minerals: required for proper functioning of various enzyme systems in different metabolic processes. These
include calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, manganese, copper, chromium, iron, zinc, selenium, boron and various
other trace minerals.
Nothing in NATURE works on its own or in isolation of other nutrients.
Aloe Juice and ALOE GEL contain all these nutritional elements and more to supply you with all their wholesome health
just as NATURE intended.
(Dagne, E. et al. 2000. Chemistry of Aloe species. Current Organic Chemistry. 4(10), p.1055-1078)
Aloe deserves a NOBEL prize!!
In 1999 Dr Günther Blobel, a molecular biologist from Rockefeller University, received the Nobel prize in Physiology or
Medicine for his work on protein transportation.
He discovered that proteins (peptide chains with particular amino acids) act as e-mail addresses directing elements to
specific sites in the body.
If an element has the wrong address it can be to the detriment of your health resulting in
· improper cholesterol processing, which may result in arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries),
· cancer, cystic fibrosis and
· numerous other diseases.
This is part of what makes Aloe so unique. It provides the “essential” sugars with the required amino acids complete with
vitamins and minerals.
This ensures that ALL the nutrients in the Aloe are much more bio-available. This also means they are better absorbed
and much better utilised by the body since the body knows exactly where and how to use them.
For example, it was found that the “essential” sugar alone stimulated the immune system twice. However, when amino
acids were included the immune system function was improved by 100 times.
Similarly, the amino acids enable the body to transport the MINERALS into the cells where they can be utilised. Minerals
are of special importance:
· Calcium: besides building and maintaining bone and teeth, it is also essential for muscle contraction, regulation of
heart beat and blood clotting.
· Magnesium: is an important co-factor in more than 300 enzymatic reactions, especially energy production. It helps
muscles relax, including the heart muscle.
· Potassium: essential to ensure proper water balance, maintains normal blood pressure, important for muscle
· Manganese: involved in blood sugar control, energy production and thyroid function.
· Chromium: is critical for proper insulin function and blood sugar control.
· Iron: required to prevent anaemia and improve energy levels.
· Zinc: is necessary for thyroid, insulin and maintains testosterone levels. Supports the immune system, helps with
wound healing and improves smell and taste.
· Not forgetting all the trace minerals.
REMEMBER: the combination (supplied by the Aloe) is greater than the individual elements.
Aloe is one of the ways to better HEALTH. It provides a source of nutritional requirements providing NATURE’S synergy at
Murray, M.T. 1996. Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements. Three Rivers Press: New York)
nutrients vs. ENERGY
I am sure when you read the word “energy” you immediately had an image of sugar, some “energy” drink / bar or
something similar. Something to LIFT your blood sugar levels, that wakes you up or makes your mind switch on.
The problem is that most of us have enough SPARE energy to last us a few months. We are OVERfed but unfortunately
How is that possible?
We don’t obtain the essential nutrients required to ensure the proper functioning of our bodies. Why?
1. SOILS have become depleted of essential minerals. Thus vegetables and fruit contain less vitamins and minerals.
2. During the food processing process essential nutrients are removed to ensure shelf life.
3. Our food choices and poor diet deplete our body’s reserves of these essential nutrients.
The GREATEST losses of vitamins and minerals occur during the food refining process and preparation of food. As much
as 60-90% of its original nutritional value can be lost.The following table shows the loss in nutrition when whole grain is
processed / refined to white flour.
Nutrient % Loss
Folic acid 67
Vitamin B2 80
Vitamin B3 81
Vitamin B5 50
Vitamin B6 72
Vitamin E 86
The result is that FOODS that are deficient in these compounds are actually anti-nutrients since they deplete the body’s
reserves of these nutrients. Subsequently most people are DEFICIENT in these elements.
These elements are VITAL for our bodies to function properly. They are the spark plugs required by metabolic processes
in our bodies to burn energy.
You may have petrol in the tank but without spark plugs, oil and water you won’t get very far. Similarly, SUGAR may
provide energy but WITHOUT these minerals and vitamins it is actually an anti-nutrient.
In the long run it causes DISEASE!!
“The doctors of the future will give no drugs BUT will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in
the cause and prevention of disease.” - Thomas Edison
How do we replace these elements in our DIET?
Whole-leaf Aloe Juice and Body Basics of course!!! It provides all the minerals your body requires as NATURE intended.
(Serfontein, W. 2003. Feel Better, Live Longer. Tafelberg:Paarl)
ENEMIES – of a BEAUTIFUL SKiN!!!
The first enemy is TIME – in other words normal ageing (something you cannot control). It is NATURE’S inevitable
biological clock running down.
The second enemy is OUR lifestyle (something YOU can control) such as:
1. Sun: damages and dries the skin.
2. Exposure to extreme heat, wind, light, etc.
3. Pollution and toxins.
4. Disease and injuries.
5. Stress – slows the body’s rejuvenation and renewal function.
a. Diet: too much sugar makes the collagen stiff and inflexible.
b. Shortage of Omega 3 Oils and vitamins A, C and E.
c. Alcohol: dehydrates the skin.
d. Smoking: reduces blood flow to skin.
ALL these factors would typically be attributed to the “natural” AGEING process. However, as you can see there is a lot
we can do to slow this ageing process since they are mainly self-inflicted.
The end result of this “ageing” process is DEHYDRATION. The skin loses its natural moisture, oils and fats. Once the
elasticity is lost, the skin appears old, wrinkled and leathery.
Dehydration accelerates the ageing process. By MOISTURIZING and feeding the skin we can age with grace.
HOW??? Aloe Ferox what else!!!
“Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.” – Anton Cherkhov
WINTER survival for the SKiN
Winter months and cold weather can be harsh on the skin. During WINTER our skin need extra attention to protect it from
normal wear and tear.
The lower temperatures and humidity during the winter months DEHYDRATE the skin.
The most common symptoms of winter skin are:
· Dry skin: DRY air “sucks” the moisture out of your skin.
· Older looking skin: wrinkles are more visible when your skin is dehydrated.
· Flaking: the dry, dead skin on the surface of the skin will be more visible when your skin is lacking moisture.
· Redness: dry skin develops fine cracks, which become irritated and inflamed.
· Itching: the drier the skin the more itchy it becomes.
A winter skin requires a RICHER / CREAMIER moisturizer to prevent these symptoms.
During the WINTER use Hand Cream instead of Hand & Body Lotion on your whole body since it is creamier and offers
What does ALOE FEROX offer a dry skin? Aloe not only moisturizes the skin it also restores and maintains the SKIN.
Other HANDY HINTS are: ALL skin types-
1. Apply your normal night cream.
2. Wait one minute. Apply Wrinkle-less Crème.
The skin restores while you sleep and wrinkles are reduced.
Mature & dehydrated skin -
1. Apply your normal night cream.
2. Wait one minute. Apply Tissue Oil.
While you sleep the ALOE replaces the extra moisture.
It’s a specially formulated moisturizer for the oily and problem (acne) skin.
Let the oil VANISH!! Vanishing Cream
· absorbs the oil while moisturizing the skin,
· narrows the pores and
· gives the skin its matt appearance.
An additional bonus is that it eliminates the need for a facial powder. Another cost saving.
A combination of Aloe oil, Olive oil, Almond oil, Evening Primrose oil, Wheat Germ oil and vitamin E supply the skin with
rich nourishment suitable for all skin types.
These oils are essential for
· damaged, aged and scarred skin
· preventing acne scars
· sun pigmentation
· stretch marks (pregnant mothers should apply it together with Anti-Stretch Lotion to prevent stretch marks).
Tissue Oil can reduce the visible signs of ageing and repair the damage by providing essential protection against sun
damage, dehydration and ageing.
It is also very effective for dry SCALP and split HAIR ends.
Apply on hair and scalp, put a towel on your pillow during the night, wash the next morning and see your hair come ALIVE.
|Newsletter April - May 2005
Dear Aloe Friends
I hope you have started feeding your IMMUNE system. It is the best investment you can make. Of what value is money if
you do not have the HEALTH to enjoy it? In the previous newsletter we talked about SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory
Syndrome), that can only be stopped by our OWN immune system. News flash!! The biggest flu epidemic since the 1918
flu pandemic is on its way!!!
Why is there no cure for the common cold and flu? Because it mutates, it changes and looks different to last year’s
model (almost like cars). In other words, the antibodies that your immune system produced last year won’t work on this
year’s BUG. No vaccine can be prepared. Your only defence is a vigilant immune system. Give your body the “tools” by
providing the best possible nutrition.
“Forewarned, forearmed. To be prepared is half the victory.”
– Miquel de Cervantes Saavedra
Aloe Ferox is good for
your IMMUNE System!!!
Did you know your body’s cells can “talk” with one another? They have their own language which they manufacture from
the food you eat. This is achieved by combining proteins with specific sugars (not the kind you find in the supermarket!)
to form glycoproteins. The protein attaches to the cell walls and the sugars, which look like a miniture cactus, attach to
the proteins to form a glycoprotein.
How do they TALK?
These glycoproteins cover the surface of every cell and protude from the cell surfaces. Our bodies use these “words” to
communicate through the “sense of touch”. The immune system “reads” this cellular "Braille" over the surface of the cells
checking if the cells are healthy, infected, damaged or cancerous. It enables the immune system to identify and destroy
what doesn’t belong in the body, thus restoring health. If the cells cannot communicate, viruses go rampant and cancer
Glyconutrients improve every function of the immune system in the following ways:
1. Boosts the production, speed and efficiency of macrophage (radar) function.
2. Stimulates macrophages to secrete more interferon (signals), which activates and attracts Natural Killer cells.
3. Helps the B cells to produce more antibodies.
4. Dramatically increases the number and capacity of T cells to destroy infection.
Fortunately, these specific sugars are present in Aloe Juice.
Aren’t you glad you have one of the BEST products available to support the immune system?
(McAnalley, B.H. & Vennum, E. 2000. Introduction to Glyconutritionals. Glycoscience & Nutrition. vol. 1, no.1)
Value your Life
Lately there is a lot of interest and research in the medicinal properties of Cancer bush. Traditionally it has been used
for stomach problems and internal cancers. The active ingredient is canavanine, which has anti-tumour properties as
well as GABA that improves mood.
It has been used with success for internal cancers, inflammation and viral diseases (flu is a virus) as well as HIV.
· Inhibits HIV in all stages of the viral life cycle slowing its proliferation.
· Prevents the virus from attaching to its host (a virus needs a cell to replicate).
· Stimulates the immune system by increasing the number of white blood cells that fight the infection.
People suffering from cancer or AIDS that are wasting can benefit since Cancer bush contains pinitol that stops wasting
by increasing appetite resulting in weight gain.
Ever wondered about the medicinal properties of Olive leaf in the Val-u-Life?
It was found that olive trees are particularly robust and resistant against insect and bacterial damage. The bitter active
ingredient responsible is called oleuropein. Research has shown that Olive leaf inhibits the growth of viruses, punches
holes in bacteria and even kills fungus.
The combination of Cancer bush and Olive leaf gives any bug a knock out double punch.
(Tai, J. et al. 2004. In vitro studies of Sutherlandia frutescens on human tumor cell lines. J. Ethnopharmacology. 93.
Harnett, S.M. et al. 2005. Anti-HIV activities of organic and aqueous extracts of Sutherlandia frutescens and Lobostemon
trigonus. J. Ethnopharmacology. 96. p.113-119)
“Stress: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of
some jerk who desperately deserves it.” Anonymous
Stress - everybody has it. You worry about your job, the future, you are concerned about your family, anxious about bills
to be paid, suffer from exam tension… The list is endless.
Have you ever wondered why you become sick when you are under stress? It is because the fight-or-flight response has
been activated. The human body was designed to react in a specific way when in danger (perceived or real). When you
are constantly worried or upset about something it causes the body to respond in the same way.
How does it REACT?
The body excretes the hormones adrenaline and cortisol, which causes
1. the heart to beat faster
2. sugar to be released into the blood
3. all energy to be directed to the muscles
because your body assumes that you are going to have to defend yourself (fight) or run away (flight).However, these
days we don’t bash each other over the head anymore, we are too civilised. Instead we keep all the anger inside and
steam up and boil over by being moody and irritable. All these pent up emotions SUPPRESS the immune system making
you prone to all kinds of infections in the short term and heart disease and cancers in the long run.
“The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” - William James
Stress is unavoidable, however, YOU can decide how you will respond to it. Will you get upset or become worried or will
you conquer your anxiety, fears and anger? But what can we do to help our bodies cope? Get-a-Grip, which contains St.
John’s Wort is highly recommended.
In Europe, St. John’s Wort is prescribed twice as often as standard antidepressants to help relieve conditions such as:
· Stress, Anxiety and Nervousness
· Sleep difficulty
· Inflammation and bacterial infection.
In a meta-analysis of over 20 controlled, double-blind clinical trials involving some 1700 people, St. John’s Wort
demonstrated improvement in depressive symptoms (measured by the Hamilton Depression Scale). In 8 of these
treatment-controlled trials, clinical improvements in those receiving SJW were similar to those receiving standard
(Linde, K. et al. 1996. St John's wort for depression - an overview and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. British
Journal of Medicine. 313, p. 253-258)
Eating can be STRESSFUL!!!
Surprising, isn’t it?
How can food be stressful? By stimulating the adrenal gland to release adrenaline and cortisol. Adrenaline causes the
release of sugar from your energy reserves (NO, unfortunately not your FAT reserves), which raises your blood sugar
Who are the biggest culprits???
· Caffeine in coffee and tea. Even decaf contains small amounts of caffeine.
· Chocolate, which also contains caffeine.
· Caffeinated cooldrinks, even diet drinks.
· Nicotine in cigarettes.
· High energy drinks containing caffeine and guarana and compounds in appetite suppressants.
They are all considered stimulants causing your blood sugar to fluctuate and they are also addictive. The end result is
adrenal exhaustion, which suppresses the immune system making you more prone to infection and DISEASE.
The more dependent you are on stimulants, and the more your blood sugar levels fluctuate, the more likely you will react
stressfully to life’s inevitable challenges. If you grab a cup of coffee (with 3 heaped teaspoons of sugar of course) to
“wake up” in the morning, you may be heading for adrenal exhaustion.
Balancing your blood sugar levels is the key to optimal health. It is better to have bacon and eggs with a cup of Rooibos
for breakfast in order to raise your blood sugar levels.
Don’t forget the Aloe Juice. It balances blood sugar levels by
1. slowing the digestion and absorption of food.
2. providing over 130 nutrients for optimal wellbeing.
3. providing soluble fibre.
Aloe Juice is a backbone of any nutritional plan to achieve optimal wellness.
(Holford, P. 2004. New Optimum Nutrition Bible. Piatkus Books:London)
SKiN deep BEAUTY...
At first sight your skin looks like a simple, decorative covering for your body. However, the skin is the largest organ of the
The skin has many important functions and protects us from
1. bumps and bruises
2. the sun’s UV radiation
3. hazardous chemicals and
4. unwanted bacteria making it the immune system’s first line of defence.
It also regulates body temperature, is the 5th sense of touch and plays a vital part in preventing excessive loss of
moisture from the body, which gives a healthy skin its attractive appearance.
The skin is NOT just a simple flat sheet, but it is composed of several skin layers.
* The very top skin layer, epidermis, is quite tough but is continually worn down and is constantly replaced.
* Underneath the epidermis is the dermis, which is plump and contains a lot of water.
The dermis contains all the essential ingredients that we need to maintain to keep that youthful appearance:
· Collagen gives the skin its tensile strength.
· Elastin makes the skin pliable and allows it to stretch.
These compounds give the skin its structural support. But what gives the collagen and elastin its SUPPORT? A gel-like
substance made of mucopolysaccharides!!!These mucopolysaccharides are unique since they can absorb 1000 times
their volume in water. Of course Aloe is a rich source of mucopolysaccharides. NO surprises.
We recently attended the International Federation of Societies of Cosmetic Chemists (IFSCC) in Orlando, Florida in the
USA. The interesting thing was that 70% of all the presentations, in other words the hottest research topic, were HOW to
moisturize the skin!!!
WHY??? Dehydration accelerates the ageing process. We are waterproof, we do not absorb water by taking a bath, we
need to feed the skin.
What BETTER way to feed the skin than with Aloe?
Moisturize the SKiN
With winter approaching so is the “winter itch”. During winter the air is drier thus the water (moisture) in the top layer of
the skin EVAPORATES faster.
How do we REPLACE the moisture???
Most moisturizers DO NOT penetrate the skin. They only moisturize the top layer of the skin. Your skin may feel better
for a while but it is only a temporary solution.
Aloe has been proven to PENETRATE all the layers of the skin. It also acts as a carrier to help water, oils and nutrients
to penetrate the skin. This moisturizes the skin and helps the skin to hold on to the water. Always use Super Aloe Gel
as part of your daily routine to improve the penetration of your moisturizer. How to MOISTURIZE your skin effectively
depends on your skin type, the time of day and the season:
Normal & Combination
Dry & Mature
Moisturizing Day Cream / Mature
Normal & Combination
Enriched Night Cream
Dry & Mature
Ultra Rich Night Cream / Mature
Everybody knows its virtues, however, it is NOT used to its full potential. It has more uses than aching and painful
muscles and joints.
It is also excellent for
· taking care of that blocked nose and chest making breathing a lot easier.
· combating any head discomfort such as sinus and migraine problems.
· stimulating blood flow to alleviate winter hands and feet.
· taking care of those sore and tired feet.
· insect bites, takes away the swelling and itching.
Don’t go without it, keep it at hand for those emergencies.
Everybody wants to remove stretch marks and scars but what you may not know is that the active ingredient in the Anti-
Stretch Lotion has been clinically proven to reduce wrinkles.
Studies showed that it
· decreased wrinkles
· diminish fine lines and visible signs of ageing
· improves skin texture
But there is much MORE!!! It also
· thickened the skin 1.5 times faster than Retinol (found in a lot of cosmetic products) and was more effective than
In combination with Super Aloe Gel your skin will look and feel younger. Ageing is delayed with every use, keep looking
|Newsletter February – March 2005
Hallo Aloe Friends
The new year is gaining momentum and is filled with possibilities, opportunities and challenges.
As you well know Aloe Ferox is more than cosmetics that only go skin deep. We follow a holistic approach to complete
Since most problems originate from inside the body it is important to get to the root of the problem instead of just treating
It is amazing how many problems can be solved by providing the IMMUNE system with the necessary building blocks for
Remember when the SARS virus was rampant? Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome claimed the lives of thousands of
people. No antidote was found, vaccines didn’t work, ONLY an effective immune system could save you.
Chronic disease is caused by a malfunctioning immune system. What must we do to have a FIGHTING fit immune
system? That is the question!!!
“Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease.” – Hippocrates
YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
We have an army of cells (white blood cells) that patrol our bodies 24 hours every day of our lives. If you nourish your
body properly, give it the proper nutrients, give yourself ample rest to allow the immune system time to clean your body
and don’t stress too much - you can be disease FREE!!
We are constantly being exposed to all kinds of viruses, bacteria and other toxins (antigens). Yet we do not all become
sick. WHY? Because, if our immune system is functioning porperly, it eliminates them before they can multiply and
become a problem.
Even cancerous cells are no problem for these crack troops. Everybody continuously produces cancerous cells, yet we
do not all waste away. The SECRET? The amazing IMMUNE system!
What happens when a bug or virus enters the body?
1. Antigens are enemy invaders, bacteria or virus that attack the body.
2. Macrophages are the body’s radar that detects the enemy. They ingest (gobble up) the antigens and display its
pieces to Helper T cells.
3. Helper T cells coordinate the attack of the immune system by stimulation the production of B cells and T cells.
4. B cells are the immune system's war factories. They produce antibodies that are custom made for every specific
5. These antibodies attach to enemy antigens, which in turn attracts Natural Killer (NK) cells that destroy these invaders.
They puncture the bacteria or virus cell membranes and kill them.
6. The subsequent battle is intense and lasts until the last of the invaders have been destroyed. The immune system
takes no prisoners.
7. Once the danger has been eliminated Suppressor T cells signal the B cells to stop producing antibodies.
8. Once the cease fire signal has been given the immune system stands down and returns to patrolling the body for
new seek and destroy missions.
IMMUNE SYSTEM DEFECTS
What can go wrong? Judging by the escalating number of people suffering from chronic diseases,
The impressive power of the immune system can sometimes be misdirected.
1. Allergies: are produced when the immune system overreacts to a normally harmless compound as if it were an
enemy. Histamine is released, resulting in sneezing, streaming eyes and nose and other irritations.
2. Autoimmune disease: is the result of the immune system confusing the body’s own cells with a bug or virus.
Usually there are NOT enough Suppressor T cells to switch off the production of antibodies.
There are many kinds and they affect the body in different ways. The autoimmune reaction is directed against the:
a. Brain in Multiple Sclerosis
b. Gut in Crohn’s disease.
c. Tissues and organs in Lupus.
d. Joints in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
e. Skin in Psoriasis.
f. Pancreas in Type-1 Diabetes.
There are many more.
3. AIDS: is the result of the HIV virus attacking the Helper T cells. As HIV destroys the Helper T cells the body loses its
ability to activate and direct the immune system to fight off infection.
4. Cancer: cells should signal the immune system and be eliminated. Tumours develop when the immune system
does not recognise the signal.
In autoimmune diseases there are too many helper T cells and not enough suppressor T cells, while in immunodeficiency
diseases like AIDS and cancer, suppressor cells far outnumber helper cells.
KEEPING YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTHY
The immune system needs certain critical elements to ensure its optimal functioning. What food does your immune
system need?The body needs certain sugars (NO not chocolates and sweets) but complex sugars called saccharides
that are essential building blocks for the manufacture of glycoproteins, which cover the surface of all cells. It should not
surprise you that the Aloe ferox contains a number of these essential saccharides, which gives it its unique immune
modulating properties.These glyconutrients have powerful effects on the immune system. They also support the body’s
ability to neutralize and protect it from damage.
Aloe ferox reactivates the immune system by:
· boosting macrophage production, their rate and speed of functioning as well as revving up their ability to identify
and destroy tumour cells and antigens.
· increasing antibody production by B cells.
· increasing natural killer T cell production and effectiveness.
· helping to restore the proper balance between helper T cells and suppressor T cells.
There are also other immune boosting elements present in the Aloe Juice. The minerals zinc and selenium are critical for
optimum immune function.
1. Zinc: increases the production macrophages and infection fighting T cells. It also helps
B cells produce more antibodies.
2. Selenium: increases natural killer T cells and mobilizes cancer-fighting cells.
All these compounds in combination have a potent synergistic effect on the immune system.
Remember that what the Aloe Juice does on the inside, the Aloe Gel does on the outside.
(Mondoa, E.I. & Kitei, M. 2001. Sugars that Heal. Ballantine Publishing:New York.)
FIGHTING COLDS AND FLU
Before antibiotics there was Echinacea. Echinacea was extensively used in the fight against the common cold and flu.
Exposure to the flu virus is unavoidable. The secret to avoiding the whole cold and flu cycle is simple: as soon as you
experience that itchy, scratchy feeling in the back of your throat due to a postnasal drip, don’t hesitate, stomp on it
without mercy. Don’t give those bugs a chance to establish. The quicker you can activate your immune system the
quicker your body will recover.
Fortunately, the Winter-Fighter with Echinacea has proven itself to be highly effective when the flu bug strikes. Stock up
now, it’s an absolute necessity in the home to prevent the misery of cold and flu symptoms.
It functions with the immune system by:
· increasing the white blood cells ability to overpower invading organisms.
· reducing cold symptoms and shortening its duration.
The KEY is to take the Winter-Fighter at soon as the symptoms appear. Don’t wait or hesitate.
(Barrett B, K.D, Rabago D. 1999. Assessing the risks and benefits of herbal medicine: an overview of scientific evidence.
[Review]. Altern Ther Health Med. 5(4):40-49)
Omega 3: for a SMART Immune System
How do our bodies react to infections? How does the body activate the immune system? By a process called
inflammation, which is a necessary part of the healing process.
If we eat mainly animal products and sunflower oil (high in Omega 6) our bodies will produce excessive amounts of
Leukotriene B4, a substance the body uses to recruit white blood cells. This can result in too many white blood cells
congregating on an infected area, causing chronic inflammation. Fortunately, inflammation can be regulated. If you have
sufficient Omega 3 Oils your body will produce a related substance called Leukotriene B5, which also attracts white blood
cells but is thirty times less effective.
Thus you can replace a compound that causes excessive inflammation with a compound that is anti-inflammatory.
Omega 3 Oils speeds up the destruction of misguided T cells that are the culprits in autoimmune diseases. Studies
showed that Omega 3 alleviates symptoms of:
· Arthritis: including morning stiffness, fatigue, pain and the number of inflamed joints.
· Asthma: reducing the severity of asthma attacks and improving lung capacity.
· Alzheimer’s disease: improving mental function.
· Crohn’s & Ulcerative Colitis: certain people showed remission and were able to reduce steroid medication.
· Nephropathy: improving kidney function, increasing blood flow and reducing risk of clotting.
· Lupus: symptoms were markedly improved and went into remission.
· Psoriasis: less itching, scaling and redness and the affected areas reduce in size.
Any DISEASE causes an inflammatory response resulting in inflammation. You won’t make a mistake by taking Omega 3
(Simpolous, AP & Robinson, J. 1999. The Omega Diet. HarperCollins )
IMMUNE SYSTEM & YOUR LIFESTYLE
Maybe you don’t know but sugar is poison to your body. This is especially applicable with regards to our immune system.
Our immune systems need vitamin C. The immune system concentrates vitamin C inside cells so they can effectively
gobble up viruses and bacteria. However, sugar has a similar structure as vitamin C and the immune system becomes
confused and uses the sugar instead of the vitamin C.
The result is that the immune system is suppressed:
· Eating or drinking 100 g of sugar (equivalent to one can of cooldrink or a chocolate bar) reduces the ability of white
blood cells to kill by 40%.
· The suppressing effect starts less than 30 minutes after consumption and can last up to 5 hours.
· An elevated blood sugar level reduces the ability of white blood cells to kill bugs by 75%.
Refrain from sugar if you want to have a vigilant immune system and consume vitamin C rich foods such as citrus but
also broccoli, peppers, cauliflower and other vegetables and fruit.
Another good insurance is a vitamin C supplement.
|Aloe Ferox USA - Newsletters